1 the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions pump blood through the body; "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly" [syn: heart, pump]
2 a small portable timepiece [syn: watch]
3 character printer that automatically prints stock quotations on tickertape [syn: stock ticker]
- Rhymes: -ɪkə(r)
- A measuring or reporting device, particularly one which makes a
ticking sound as the
measured events occur.
- The ticker was showing an increased rate of flow.
- A stock
- I checked the prices on the ticker one last time before placing the trade.
- A news ticker.
- To my surprise, the ticker showed that the deal had already gone through.
- In the context of "Colloquial": The heart.
- My ticker gave out and I had to go to the hospital for surgery.
a measuring or reporting device
a stock ticker
a news ticker
Ticker can mean:
- A stock ticker machine and the ticker tape (paper strips) it prints on
- Ticker symbol, the codes for quotes on ticker tapes
- News ticker, a small screen space on news television networks dedicated to headlines or minor pieces of news
- Ticker (2001 film), an action film directed by Albert Pyun
- Ticker (2008 film), an action/comedy film written by Stephen Langford & Shin Koyamada
- Heart, informally
- A rich media self-updating graphic added to the signature of an online chat profile that serves as a countdown to an important event
- In the U.S., ticker can also refer to ticker symbol, a mnemonic used to uniquely identify publicly-traded companies on a stock market
ticker in German: Ticker
American Stock Exchange, Amex, Big Ben, TelAutography, Teletype, Teletype network, Teletyping, Wall Street, abdomen, anus, appendix, blind gut, board, bourse, bowels, brain, cecum, chronometer, clock, clock movement, clockworks, closed-circuit telegraphy, code, colon, commodity exchange, corn pit, curb, curb exchange, curb market, duodenum, duplex telegraphy, electricity, endocardium, entrails, exchange, exchange floor, facsimile telegraph, foregut, giblets, gizzard, guts, heart, hindgut, horologe, horologium, innards, inner mechanism, insides, internals, interrupter, intestine, inwards, jejunum, key, kidney, kishkes, large intestine, liver, liver and lights, lung, midgut, multiplex telegraphy, news ticker, outside market, over-the-counter market, perineum, pit, pump, pylorus, quadruplex telegraphy, quotation board, railroad telegraphy, receiver, rectum, sender, simplex telegraphy, single-current telegraphy, small intestine, sounder, spleen, stock exchange, stock market, stock ticker, stomach, submarine telegraphy, telegraphics, telegraphy, telephone market, teleprinter, teletypewriter, teletypewriting, telex, the Big Board, the Exchange, third market, ticker tape, timekeeper, timepiece, timer, transmitter, tripes, turnip, typotelegraph, typotelegraphy, vermiform appendix, viscera, vitals, watch, watchworks, wheat pit, wire service, works